Saturday, May 7, 2011

A firemen, a school teacher, and a nurse walk into a bar...

What do you wanna be when you grow up?
This question has been asked to every person most likely more than once in their life. And most of you reading this (I know, not all of you) who are now "grown up" probably are not doing what you "wanted" to do when you answered said question. Don't worry, neither am I...

When you are little you answer this question VERY eagerly.
A firemen! A School Teacher! A Nurse! A Ghostbuster!!! (Yes, I know I just aged myself)
And when asked why your answers were most likely...
Because I wanna save people!!!   Because I want to teach our future president!  Because I want to help people everyday!    Because they have awesome guns!

All acceptable answers for a 7 year old...

One might wonder why we ask children at such a young age what they want to be. I mean, they haven't seen much of the "real world" how could they possibly know what they want to be? Well, I think we know why. You see the older we get the more we learn, right? Which means, the older we get, the more we see. The more we get how life works, the more we wish we could go back to that seat in Ms. Barlow's (Mrs. Phillip for those of you who had her after she was married) first grade class in East Midvale Elementary School and change our answers!
A Entrepreneur! A Lottery Winner! An Anesthesiologist!!!  RIGHT???

Or you could keep your answer, but of course you would have to change the reason why...
A firemen! Because I love getting woken up from a dead sleep by a loud bell, forced to slide down a pole, get dressed in 24 seconds, and smell like an ashtray everyday!
A Schoolteacher! Because cleaning spit wads out of my hair is super fun, getting paid less than the McDonald's Manager rocks, and it is my dream to hear children whine and complain all day long!
A Nurse! Because I love doing all the work only for the "real hero" to come in for 30 seconds and take all the credit, answering to a buzzer for somebody lying in bed would be like music to my ears, and let's not forget the blood and guts I get to have all over my outfit for the entire shift!

Needless to say... This is why we don't ask teenagers or young adults what they want to be and why...

There is however, one answer that still seems to top the list. One that for some people becomes their dream come true. Same answer, same reason why.
A Mother! Because I get to name my child, play with my child, love my child, nurture my child, comfort my child, clean up after my child, taxi my child, pay for my child, go in debt for my child, pull my hair out for my child, and then give her away for some other sucker to start the list all over again.... Oops, I started thinking out loud...
Anywho~
As a young girl, this was my answer to the question. Well, that and a Wedding Planner... However, to this day I cannot remember a reason why. Like many of you girls out there I played with dolls. I fed them, changed their diapers, combed their hair, put them to bed, and some of them would even cry. So, I ask... WHY ON EARTH WOULD THIS MAKE ME WANT TO BE A MOTHER???
But if you know my Mother, you know ALL the reasons. She made it look fun! She made it look effortless! She made it look like she had years of training! She made it look like she had a PHD in Motherhood! She made sure her children were up on time and looking perfect before they walked out the door everyday and she drove them to school. She picked them up from school on the days she wasn't already there because of PTA, fundraisers, carnivals, meetings, etc. A full meal on the table for her family every night! Laundry always done! House always perfectly clean! (I'm not kidding, I dare you to find a dust bunny) 2 girls meant dance class twice a week, soccer practice 6 times a week, 2 soccer games EVERY Saturday unless it was a tournament, which meant 2 Friday, 2 Saturday, and 2 Sunday. Fitting in there time for school work, time for church activities, and then throwing in a third child just to make it a little more interesting. Yep, he played soccer too! Not to mention my mom still had time to get herself gorgeous and perfect everyday, work in a salon where she made others perfect. Had time for her spouse, had time for her friends, and even had a little time for herself to shop, play Bunco, read, or you guessed it... play soccer on Saturday nights!
I am living proof that My mom is Super Mom! If she can handle me, she can handle anything!!! She does it all and has been for... many years... since she is only 29 I couldn't do the math fast enough to make it sound like she didn't have Jamie when she was 6 years old....


My mom is amazing. Best Mother, Cosmetologist, Cook, and Nana EVER No battle! My mom is the reason I have ALWAYS wanted to be a Mother. My mom is the reason why when I grow up (laughable I know) I WILL be a Mother and I can only dream to be as wonderful a Mother as she!


Thank you for Everything Mom! I Love You!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am the luckiest mom ever!! Thank you so much for all the wonderful things you said about me. Yes I cried (you new I would of coarse). I know you will be an amazing mom, you have already proved that by being such a great aunt. I loved the gift basket with all the wonderful sayings on each gift, you are so thoughtful. Thanks for making this Mother's Day so special. I love you

    ReplyDelete